Question
Posted by: joan | 2004/01/21

dark bags under eyes

I have large puffy bags under my eyes that look blue-ish/ grey. Aside from making me look older they also make me look tired & unwell when I am happy & energetic! I have tried all the usual health remedies (more sleep, cucumbers etc!! & endless creams) none of which help at all. I gather I can have the bags surgically removed. What does this involve & can you give me a guideline of potential costs? Where do I find a reliable plastic surgeon to do it? Please don't tell me to ask friends -the surgeon of the only person I knowwho has had plastic surgery has emmigrated!

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Joan,

If you have bags under your eye, it can most definitely be removed by plastic surgery. This is a relatively small procedure, compared to many other plastic surgery procedures, and many patients have it done on a Friday, returning to work on the Monday. It can also be done under conscious sedation (twilight anaesthetic), rather than general anaesthetic, which makes the procedure more affordable. Unfortunately I cannot give you an idea of costs. You can visit the website of the Plastic Surgery Society of South Africa (www.plasticsurgeons.co.za) for a list of names of plastic surgeons in your area, otherwise ask a doctor for a referral.