Question
Posted by: Henning | 2004/03/01

Dangers Of Soya Products, Claimed by lady with Cancer

Can you please shed more light on this - is SOYA as dangerous as claimed by this lady?

Henning van den Heever ( I am using Soya milk)
Tel 012 313 4063
082 400 6800

ONE WOMAN'S STORY ON SOYA ... INTERESTING FACTS

Please pass this info to your female friends........Something to takenote of.
This is my true story, nothing altered. These are facts, as they
relate to my experience, my opinions based on what I have read and felt. I am relating them to warn other young health-conscious women who are unwittingly harming themselves.
In 1989, I graduated from high school in Texas and couldn't wait to hit the big city college. One of the changes I wanted to make was to eat healthier. Once I moved to health-conscious Austin, Texas, I began to fortify my body with the best and healthiest foods I could find. Tofu was the main ingredient in every healthy dish and I bought soya milk almost every day. I used it for everything from cereal to smoothies or just to drink for a quick snack. I bought soya muffins, miso soup with
tofu, soyabeans,soyabean sprouts, etc. All the literature in all the health and fitness magazines said that soya protected you against everything from heart disease to breast cancer. It was the magical isoflavones, the oestrogen-like hormones that all worked to help you stay young and healthy . I looked great, I was working out all the time, but my menstrual cycle was off. At 20, I started taking birth control pills to regulate my menstrual cycle. In addition to this I began to suffer from painful periods. I began to get puffy,it was as though I was losing my muscle tone. I began to suffer from depression
and getting hot flashes. I mistook all this for PMS since my periods were irregular. By the time I was 25, my periods were so bad I couldn't walk. The birth control pills never made them regular or less painful so I decided to stop taking them. I went on like this for another two years until I realized my pain wasn't normal. At 27, my gynaecologist found two cysts in my uterus. Both were the size of tennis balls. I went through surgery to have them removed and thank God they were
benign. The gynaecologist told me to go back on birth control pills. I didn't. In 1998, he discovered a lump in my breast. Again, I went through surgery and again it was benign. In November 2000 my glands swelled up and my gums became inflamed. Thinking I had a tooth infection I went to the dentist who told me that teeth were not the problem. After a dose of antibiotics the swelling still did not go down. At this point I could feel a tiny nodule on the right side of my neck. I told my mother I had thyroid trouble. She think I was being silly. No one in the family suffered from thyroid trouble. Going on a
hunch, I saw a specialist who diagnosed me with Papillary Thyroid carcinoma. After a series of tests he told me it was cancer. My fiance and I sat stunned. We were not prepared and I was so scared. We scheduled surgery right away. The specialist told us that it would only be after the operation that a pathologist would be able to tell us for sure if it was cancer. They found a tumour at my right lobe composed of
irregular cells and another smaller tumour growing on the left, so the entire thyroid was removed. They told me that after undergoing radioactive iodine I would be safe and assured me that I could live a long life. After treatment I began to search for the cause of all these problems. I never once thought it could be all the soya I had consumed for nearly ten years. After all, soya is healthy. I came upon a web page that linked thyroid problems to soya intake and the conspiracy of
soya marketed as a health food when in fact it is only a toxic
by-product of the vegetable oil industry. This was insane, after all,the health and fitness magazines had said nothing about soya being harmful. I visited a herbalist who was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 1985. She informed me that soya was the culprit. She had a hysterectomy due to cysts and other uterine problems. A few months later another
acquaintance who had consumed soya came down with thyroid cancer. A girl in England met through the internet in a thyroid cancer forum had just undergone surgery and she was only 19. What was going on???? Breast
cancer is linked to oestrogen. What mimics oestrogen in the female body? SOYA! But I never suspected soya because until now I never once found a single article that stated soya could be dangerous. Women who took soya prior to thyroid problems will continue to take it after if they are not aware of what soya actually does, what it contains and how
it reacts in the female body. I think this is the reason that women with thyroid cancer often develop breast cancer later. My co-worker is big into soya and I saw her losing hair and gaining weight despite a walking workout during her break and after work,and apples and oranges for lunch. She just had cysts removed from her uterus too. I warned her
to stay off soya. I referred her to websites but until it is on the
evening news on all four networks, women will suffer. Since the thyroidectomy. I do not touch soya, haven't for two years. Dear readers, please use my story in any way you can. There are so many young girls who are consuming soya because they think they are taking care of themselves, and women taking soya because they want to be healthy.
It is so unfair that the information about the dangers of soya isn't more widely circulated. It is sad. There are many out there who feel this way and it is a terrible blow when you realize you are not as healthy as you thought and that the information that you depended on was wrong.

Expert ImageArchive

This is a misleading article regarding soya, there are many research studies that show the opposite effect; that is a protective effect against estrogen induced tumours. I would recommend that you rather consider actual research in making decisions than anecdotal remarks. There are a number of other factors that can lead to a specific disease like cancer.
Soya is a beneficial food, many cultures with extremely low cancer rates have been consuming the different products of soy at high levels for many generations with only beneficial effects.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)