Question
Posted by: KITTY | 2007/05/09

dangerous heart rate???

Hi there.

I want to know something. I am doing jogging/walking intervals on my treadmill for 30 minutes, 4 times a week. I know its not much, but i do 3 km at the moment (to me it is). But 4 minutes before i am done, i run at a relatively fast pace (for me), for about a minute and a half, until I walk the last minute or so to cool down. But last night, i put on the heart rate monitor belt, and at the time when i am running, my hear rate went to 192. The rest of the time it goes to 175 max.. Is this normal, or is it dangerous when it goes up like that? I am not very fit, but I am doing this program to get fit. I just don't want to faint someday, or get a heart attack or something. LOL

Kit

Hi Kitty

Not at all, I don't think it's dangerous. 192 is still very normal, and if there was a problem there would most likely be other signs, like chest pain or severe shortness of breath that tell you that you need to consider seeing someone. But at 192, I'd say it's just a sign that you are exercising really hard and your heart rate reflects that. I've tested athletes and trained guys who can reach 210 beats a minute and who can go for an hour at about 190. Other people, however, can't get their heart rate above about 185, and that's just because everyone is different and so one guy may have a naturally high heart rate during exercise, others not. I suspect you may have a higher heart rate, but it's still normal, so I woudn't worry about it at all.

3
Posted by: Helper | 2007/05/10

Kitty,
Ok good. It's not "dangerous" per say - if it's only at that for a short time. But you will be able to feel your body saying "STOP" when you're pushing too hard. It's good to push yourself - but baby steps at a time. And as you get fiiter, so your MHR can handle higher beats per minute, but it will get lower.. ie. when you're really pushing yourself, it might only increase to 189bpm at Max.
eg. i'm 23 and about, medium fitness level. i do spinning. and durning one class my Max went up to 203bpm... and i didn't even notice - until after i checked my heart rate monitor.
so i could have had a heart attack - but then my heart would have told me to STOP right away ...
so don't need to worry - just listen to your body - but if you want to lose weight - the best way to do so is get your heart rate up, to about 180bpm for 5 minute intervals - this will burn fat and kilojules.
good luck and all the best !

Reply to Helper
Posted by: KITTY | 2007/05/10

Thanks Helper.

So if I'm 24, and the MHR = 196, does that mean that I must not let my heart rate go above that? What happens when it goes above 196?

Reply to KITTY
Posted by: helper | 2007/05/10

that's actually good - to get your heart rate high .. that's the only way you burn fat !
depending on your age of course. do a simple test to see what your MAX heart rate is. it's :
220 - YOURage = YOURmax - it's just a more or less way to work it out .. so if you're 28 years old and younger, then it's fine!
keep it up!

Reply to helper