Posted by: Worried | 2008/07/31

Hi Doc,
I am very worried. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and consumes every second evening at least 3 liter beer. He is totally in denial about this. I did everything possible to help him: AA, GP, Pshycologist, counceling, but still he refuses to give up. Due to faith I am coping well , but what concerns me is the long term effects on his health. How long will he be able to keep on like this as he did this for the past five years since he was boarded due to ill health. I know nothing is impossible through God, but what can I expect regarding his health. At the moment he tends to be very moody and aggressive at times and always complains of aches and pains. Regards.

Dear Worried
Beer contains high levels of refined carbohydrates so this would increase his blood sugar and possibly cause uncontrolled high blood sugar levels. High untreated blood-sugar is related to many long-term health problems including damage to the kidneys, nerves, eyes and vision, increased risk of heart disease and stroke and causes erectile dysfunction in men.

Posted by: Worried | 2008/07/31

I forgot to tell, he is turning 61.

Reply to Worried