Posted by: Tanille | 2008/07/31

Dancing injury?

Hi. I am a dancer (not professional. just a hobby) and I have had hip pain for about 3 years. After 6 months I saw an Orthopaedic surgeon who did xrays and an MRI. They found nothing. I have been for chiropractic sessions and physio. This didn' t help. Then I fell down a few stairs (luckily I landed right on my butt!) and this made it a bit worse. I went to another Ortho and he prescribed anti-inflammatories and more exercise. this hasn' t worked. I started Pilates 6 months ago with the hopes it would change, but it hasn' t. My symptoms are a dull pain deep in my hip joint and bum and a feeling like I need to click my hip ( which sometimes happens). Pls help!!! I' ve read up about bursitis, tendinitis, piriformis syndrome and sciatica. Not sure if it' s any of these though. Thanks!

hI Tanille

Gosh, very difficult to make any contribution to what is obviously a difficult problem when you've seen so many people without luck.

The only thing that I can suggest is that your problem is being caused by a strength imbalance somewhere, or a flexibility problem. The only person you haven't seen is a sports physician, which might be your next port of call. They may send you to a biokineticist, to assess those strength type imbalances. The problem that often develops is that each experts assesses you from their point of view (so a chiro will say it's the back, an ortho will look at the joint) and sometimes you need a more holistic view. Hopefully a sports doctor can provide that, but it is difficult. And I hate to pass the buck, but I honestly couldn't "guess' at a cause.