Posted by: CBXer | 2009/04/06

Damp problem in house making me sick?

As posted on environment expert advice column:
I know this question is not neessarily about the workplace however I need some help desperately. My mother passed away 23 Dec last year due to cancer and I have been sick with flu, colds chest infections for the last year and a half. What I realised the other day is that I am getting sicker more and more often. I thought about something that is affecting the house that I libe and my mother used to live in. I have inherited the house and it has had damp problem for ages!! It is getting continuously worse s time has gone by and I would just like to know if I could be getting sick from this mould and bubbling in the paint and walls. I am wearing a surgical mask so I dont breathe in the toxins. Apparently there is something called sick building syndrome that is very dangerous as one breathes it in al day and get chest infections and it lowers the immune system. Wel I have looke it mup on wikipedia andI have a lot of the symptoms and so did my mother and then she died of cancer. I do not have enough money at the moment to fix the damp as yet with builders as the quote is huge! Pls could you tell me what can I do to feel better and kill this moss and mildew. What products can I use. Can I receive payment for this building quote by the body corporate? It ius affecting the lounge, bathroom and bedrooms. Its everywhere. Is this what has affected our health all this time? What product can I use to spry on it or clean it off with? Pls let me know asap.

Doc does this mold cause a problem and what products can I take to build up immune sytem as I get sick like every two months. Thanks.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear CBXer
Mould can cause allergies and infections - if you lease the home you can ask the owner to fix the damp areas on the walls. If you own the place this will be at your own cost. You can treat mouldy areas with Mr Muscle shower cleaner that contains bleach that kills moulds. If you see any black mouldy areas, get rid of any affected paper products, and treat mouldy walls or floors. Try to decrease the humidity in the house by increasing ventilation and letting sun in as much as possible. You can take something like Viral choice C or Immunochoice to boost your immunity.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.