Question
Posted by: Looser | 2007/05/31

Damn the job....

Hello, i started a new job 3 months ago with hectic hours, this has affected my exercise routine severely. I used to go to gym atleast 3 if not 4 times a week, and now i can only go twice a week that being Saterday and Sunday, i have put on weight, am frustrated and want to shed it all off. Is it effective to get resutls by going twice a week and what equipment should i go for? i want to lose over all weight not specific areas although the stomach is the biggest problem

I think that with 2 days a week, doing the usual gym routine is going to be frustrating because you can't do enough to lose weight. So what you need to do is consider doing very lengthy cardio activities on those two days instead. For example, if your normal gym was 45 minutes long, then you need to increase this to maybe 90 minutes, lower the intensity and get two long days rather than 4 shorter ones. So let's say you go to the gym, I'd say you need to split each day between the cardio and weights, where you do at least 45 to 60 minutes of cardio, like rowing, cycling, running, swimming etc. and another 45 minutes or so on circuit training. It's difficult though, because this is a tough day, and if you're not used to it, your body will fight back! So take some time getting used to these sessions, if you need to. The other thing to consider, depending on where you live, is to go for a long walk on one day per weekend - a 3 or 4 hour hike, if you live anywhere that you can do that, for example. Or a long bike ride. That's probably the best use of the time.