Question
Posted by: Dean | 2003/03/07

Dairy products ???

Hi DietDoc,
Is it possible for an adult to become allergic to dairy products? Lately I find that if I drink milk in the morning (I take Buildup) then I suffer terribly with flatulence during the day. So much so that it's actually extremely uncomfortable. Same thing seems to happen if I eat All Bran with milk. It seems slightly better if I use 2% milk. I suppose skimmed milk is my last hope !

Dean

Dear Dean
If you are really allergic to milk then drinking skimmed milk will not help because it is either the sugar in milk (lactose) or one of the proteins that causes these reactions, not the fat. Yes, adults can develop milk allergy/sensitivity or intolerance. It is very important to have tests done to determine if you are actually allergic to milk or some other food (e.g. fibre in the All Bran and/or Buildup, etc). Self-diagnosis is not helpful and can lead to deficiencies, so have those tests and then we can see what you need to do to your diet.

4
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/03/12

That's exactly what the dary board wants you to think. Many intollerances to dairl are developed in childhood when we're forced to drink milk, "because it's healthy and builds strong bones") Drop the dairy!

Reply to Ma'at
Posted by: Dean | 2003/03/10

Hmmm... interesting perspective. I never really gave it that much thought. Case of "It's there, drink it"

Cheers
D

Reply to Dean
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/03/07

What deficiencies will develop by cutting out milk? Surely not the calcium argument, I thought that was put to bed years ago? I haven't used any dairy products for many years, - no problems. Adult humans are not designed to drink the mothers milk of another mammal. Do you know of any animal other than humans that habitually drinks another species' mother's milk? I don't. Milk is poison, as are dairy products in general. Unfortunately the dairy industry is a very powerful body and has a large budget to market it's product. Cut out all dairy, your health will improve dramatically! Of course you need to eat a propper diet (I hate the term "balanced" - exactly what does it mean?), not a typical high carb, high fat, commercial western diet, but then that's a long debate. DietDoc is a big punter of milk, (I see the WeighLess logo - so I understand that part of her advice, but not the Dairy Board logo - next week maybe?), but many other healthy people disagree with the traditional "milk is good for you" mantra. Search the Internet for alternative views.

Reply to Ma'at
Posted by: Dean | 2003/03/07

Thanks Doc. What sort of tests do they run to determine this and how?

Dean

Reply to Dean