Question
Posted by: MF | 2007/05/13

daily eating plan for teen doing weights

I am 17 years old, in matric and do weight training 3 times a week. my height is about 1,78 cm, and my weight 79kg, Most of my day is spent in school and in studying. What eating plan should I follow to gain maximum energy and protein for studing as well as for exercise. I drink a homemade protein shake made of 2 eggs and 300ml skim milk every morning before school as I have been told it will give me the extra protein I need for my exercise and I also drink about a litre of skim milk seperately throught the day on the days that I exercise. But my mum says that I shouldn't be having more than 7 eggs a week and should change my diet. What do you suggest?M.F

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi MF

Supplying your body with sufficient energy rests on the energy need for your body size and activity level. If you eat more energy than what your body needs you will gain weight and visa versa. For weight loss you can reduce your daily calorie need by 500 – 1000 calories per day.

According to my calculation you will need about 2300 – 2500 calories per day. The science of nutrition stays the same for everyone and relates back to dividing your calorie need into six meals per day with a ratio of 50-60% carbs, 15-25% protein, and 20% fat. Focus on eating low GI carbs and use liquid food to refuel after your training. Please visit the GI foundation of SA’s website for more info www.gifoundation.com. The only time you should consume high GI carbs is immediately after training. These recommendations will ensure that you feel energized and bright for your studies. Just make sure that you include about 5 portions of fruit and vegs per day to support fiber intake and nutrient rich foods.

Use the following info to assist you with knowing how many carbs, proteins and fats are found in food. Get into the habit of reading food labels.

1 chicken breast / 1/2 tin tuna in water / 200g fat free cottage cheese / 100g ostrich meat / 6 egg whites (1 yolk) = 25 g protein and about an average of 4 g fat. Red meat will have about 9-15 g fat per 100g.
1 slice bread = 15 g carbs
1/3 cup beans/rice/pasta/potato/sweet potato/ corn/peas/ baked beans/ pumpkin = 20 g carbs
2 cups salad or 1 cup cooked veggies = 10 g carbs, 2 g protein (broccoli, cabbage, marrows, cauliflower etc not starch veggies like pumpkin and corn)
A Medium fruit = 20 carbs
Small banana = 27 carbs

Egg yolk contains almost the amount of cholesterol allowed per day, therefore it is recommended not to eat more than one a day. The egg white contains only about 3,5 g of protein and no fat or cholesterol there from you can then freely make up your daily protein intake. Recommendation is also to not eat your eggs raw – they contain enzymes that the stomach lining is opposed to.
Skim milk is a great food source if you are not lactose intolerant. About two thirds of it is made up by low GI carbs and a third protein while the fat content is very low.

Good Luck! I am very excited that you have the foresight to want to live healthily and reap the benefits thereof.

Take care.
Vanesa