Question
Posted by: shocked | 2007/08/01

Dagga

I di\scovered dagga in my child's cupboard. What must I do now, and how must I handle it? I suspected a while that she uses it.

Well, for a start, you need to sit down CALMLY with her and discuss this --- see what she thinks and feels about this, and whether this is experimentation out of curiosity or if it relates to problems and troubles she may be trying to evade. See what she knows of the risks of using it ( there's recently been more emphasis, for instance, on the risks of a psychotic illness which are increased by using dagga ). Encourage her to see a good local shrink, perhaps best a psychologist in this case, to assess her and the situation, and advise you both on how best to handle this further. If she's 18 she may be considered to have the legal right to be foolish, but not with an illegal drug !

3
Posted by: Happy hour. | 2007/08/01

The problem with drugs, as with sigarettes, is that the moment you try it out, youi are likely to become a user for life. Even if you never take it again. The memory of "the days" will stick around for ever. Dagga can very easily become a gateway drug for more serious stuff like coke, xtc, meth, etc, etc. At her age it might very well be peer presure or pure rebellion. Whatever the cause, she has to, unfortunately, WANT to stop. And the only good time to want to, is hitting rock bottom, which is a shitty place to be, even, and especially, for the loved ones. She has to come off it now. She is on the brink of entering a very stressfull, very cruel and very hard world of adulthood and will easily turn to drugs as a coping meganism.

People shoeldn't start on drugs period. Once you tasted chemicals it's hard to just live and reach your full potential. I'm 35, have a family and still rely on drugs to calm me down / help me through / whatever. It has become my downfall. As is the case with hundreds of thousands of people. Not a thing to mess with.

Reply to Happy hour.
Posted by: shocked | 2007/08/01

18 years and in Matric at the moment.

Reply to shocked
Posted by: C-Max | 2007/08/01

How old is she?

Reply to C-Max