Question
Posted by: Marzelle | 2005/07/18

Dagga

I have a 21 year old living with us, who is constanly smoking dagga. He has always had a mild depression, but what I would like to know is, can using dagga exesivley have a simptom of depression as well. We have tried fighting it, and this has actually ended up in a big argument with my brother inlaw.
I love the child to bits, but he is to lazy to work, he was actually fired from work. He has a very low self esteem. And he does get aggressive with words, no matter who it is.
All that you describe is your columb is there, I just need to confirm on the affect of depression that it could have.

Extensive use of dagga ( check the archives of this forum as I have recently discussed this in some detail several times ) can be harmful, and has absolutely no benefits at all. It generally worsens a depression, but just as a depressed person may drink too much, because alcohol may give a temporary sensation of a lift, though it ultimately worsesns depression, so it can be with dagga. And it can encourage such a lazy young man to just lie around and get lazier. So he ought to stop it, and he should not be allowed to just lie around the house without actively seeking work, and meanwhile helping very much with household chores. Kasandra's comments make good sense, too. He ought to see a drug rehab counsellor to stop drugging and start living

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2005/07/18

Dagga and depression can go hand in hand and he could be self medicating himself or so he thinks well he is sinking deeper into depression. Dagga and teenage suicides have also been linked - I think he needs to urgently see someone professional who can help and assist him in getting beter and helping him to feel his self worth again.

Its very hard to see someone so close to you be so destructive but you guys need to act as soon as possible...

Good luck and please write again and tell us what is happening.

Reply to Kasandra