Posted by: Mom | 2007/04/12

Dad Cheated

I have two sons, age 15 and 12. We were all just shocked by the news that their Dad has been cheating on me. The eldest boy is really angry and the younger one is suffering with severe stomach ache and nervousness. They both still love him and constantly sms him. I cant get the older child to talk about what's going on. How do I deal with this?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTeen expert

This is something that will have come as quite a shock to your boys and to you as well, and if you have just discovered this it is going to take a while before the reality of this sinks in.

As a result your eldest will need time to come to understand how he feels, and begin to make sense of the situation. You don't say how recent this was and when their Dad moved out but it is a combination of hearing the news about him cheating on you, but also the loss of his Dad in the home that are the most difficult right now.

Don't push him to talk at this stage - if its just happened - just let him know that he can talk to you about it whenever he feels ready. Your youngest is quite probably showing his distress physically as a way of communicating his emotions to you as he is struggling to verbalise them right now.

One route you may want to consider is going to see a family therapist, or contacting the family organisation FAMSA. You can contact them via

You must also remember yourself in all of this and ensure that you get the support you need to deal with this, as if your are beginning to come to terms with this your boys will be aware of this - they may not be verbalising it, but they will be very worried about their mom right now. So work together, and be there for each other - from there the specific needs of all of you will become clearer. The boys will need to find ways of maintaining their relationship with their Dad too, even though they may be angry with him at the same time.

Feel free to ask another question if you need to.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.