Question
Posted by: puppybreath | 2005/01/04

Dachund with anorexia??

I have 2 Dachunds, the male is the younger of the two and he seems to be anorexic. In the sense that he is as thin as a rake ( you can see his ribs and backbone ). He eats 3 times a day and has been dewormed and vaccinated. Other than being thin he is a happy, healhy puppy.

Any suggestions on how to make him look less anorexic?

There is not necessarily anything wrong with your dog can considering that is eating well and appears happy and healthy. Some dogs are simply very busy and burn their calories, resulting in them remaining very slim. Your vet can run some blood and urine tests just to make sure that everything is okay and set your mind at ease.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Puppybreath | 2005/01/05

Thanks for the advice. They are both getting Eukunuba for puppies. I have a very small yard (live in a townhouse), but he is a VERY active puppy. I'll try the foodies and keep you updated on how it goes.

Thanks again!

Reply to Puppybreath
Posted by: ST | 2005/01/05

What food are you giving to your dog? I've found with my dogs they became extremely active when we moved to a house with a bigger garden, always running around and playing, and they all became quite thin. I changed their diet to Olympic Performance. It is especially formulated for very active dogs. Normal dog food is formulated with inactive dogs in mind, as soon as they become very active they need something more nutritious. Most good dogfood brands have one formulated for active dogs. Give it a try.

Reply to ST