Question
Posted by: Klee | 2008/06/03

D & C

I would please like to find out from gynae doc and the risks involved in having a D&C, i am battling with my periods, they never come unless chemically induced with prinoult n. And I have been off the pill since jan, jan and feb had periods from them on its been crazy in March had a 5cm cyst aspirated off my left ovary. Now i am sitting in Day 35 of my cycle and no period, i have alot of pain surrounding my left ovary and I am very nauseas - pregnancy has been excluded with a blood test. I had an internal sonar and it shows fluid build up in my uterus, the gyane has now booked me in for another Laprascope to drain the fluid and a D&C, my problem is the medical aid have told me that i need speacial auth for the D&C as it is a high risk procedure and all woman under 40, who require the D&C require auth, as it has a negative affect on a woman in her child bearing years in terms of damage to the cervix etc. So they are generally not happy to approve D & C's. I had a D& C 6 weeks after my daughter was born - she is now two, and i am battling like this to fall pregnant... What are the risks associated with the procedure?

A D&C is not a particularly high risk procedure. Like all procedures, it has risks - bleeding, infection, perforation of the uterus, but these are very uncommon. Unless the whole womb lining is scraped away, it does not affect fertility. In fact ,many women believe that it improves fertility.
If you have fluid in your uterus, this obviously needs investigation. Just ask your doctor to write a motivation letter to the medical aid.