Question
Posted by: jamie | 2007/02/26

cysts

Dear dr

I had a hysteroscopy, laparoscoy for ovarian cystectomy. I keep getting cysts on my ovaries and had to be removed all the time. What is your opinion regarding acupuncture and pure chinese herbal tablets. I'm currently having acupuncture and taking the tablets. I'm beginning to run out of options. My fertility specialist suggested after the operation that I'd take the pill "Nordette" to normalise my hormones and to prevent the cysts from growing back. These cysts were not malignant. Do you think these herbal tablets can be taking together with the birthcontroll pills. The name of these tablets are called: Expel Uterus Stagnation and Yu Lin Zhu -which nourishes the Qi blood and essence. I'm starting with an ivf cycle in March.

Please advise

Dear Jamie

Unfortunately there are no scientific papers or publications regarding the use of chinese herbal medications for the problem which you indicate.
However there are fairly good scientific articles on acupuncture and the value of acupuncture in infertility treatments, esp IVF. Many of these publications /studies have been done in well reputed university centres and have shown a positive association with improved pregnancy rates, where acupuncture was done at the appropriate stage of the IVF Cycle. Hence I will believe that acupuncture does have a beneficial role to play but the same cannot be said for the herbal supplements.