Question
Posted by: Julie-Anne | 2004/10/06

Cystic Mass adherent to bowel/ureter

I have written to you before earlier on the year re a cholecystectomy, Nissen procedure and hernia repair that I had done in December and had subsequent colic pains. I now longer have the colic attacks that I suffered from earlier since I have started with this new problem.

In July, I had a check-up sonar re my colic pain and a complicated ovarian cyst was found on the right. I went to my gynae the same month and I went for another sonar and was put on a course of anti-inflammatories and progesterone treatment. I had just finished the treatment when I woke up on 17/08/04 unable to walk properly. I was rushed to hospital with terrible pain in my kidney area (right-hand side) and going down into my right side (where my ovary used to be). I would just like to point out that I had a subtotal hysterectomy in 1992 and a subsequent (L) oophorectomy the same year due to septicaemia. In 1999 I had my remaining (R) ovary and cyst removed as I was getting cysts permanently. Since this last op, I have been on Livifem as a HRT as I had bad reactions to normal oestrogen implants, patches, tablets, etc. Anyway, my gynae immediately booked me in to hospital and removed what he could of this mass which was adherent to the back of my bowel and ureter. My wound went septic as well as drip site and I was readmitted a second time. I had to be re-stitched on 02/09/04 and thought things were okay. Anyway, the cyst has come back again as he did not want to cut part of my bowel away and leave me with a colostomy due to my age (42 years) and I have been put back onto progesterone and anti-inflammatories as well as changing my HRT to Angeliq (a combined oestrogen/progesterone hormone). I have had a subsequent bladder/kidney infection (E.coli which was what was in my wound as well) and I am going back on 14/10/04 for a follow-up scan to see if this cystic mass has shrunk. If not, the gynae suggested that I have some injection (all I know is that it is very expense (R3.700-00) which he says will sort out my problem. What I would like to know is, is this the correct way to handle this problem? I would also like to know what would happen if I just stopped all hormone treatment, as could this be stimulating these follicle cysts to grow on my bowel. I am living on painkillers and tired of having these problems for the past four months. Do you agree with the treatment that I am having as I am thinking of having a second opinion as well, just in case. I am also feeling very bloated and my facial skin is very pimply (I have never had a bad skin in my life).

Please let me know what you think.

Julie-Anne

Julie-Anne, what we need to find out is why the cystic mass is present – is your gyne 100% sure it isn’t a tumour? It doesn’t have to be malignant, but it definitely doesn’t sound normal to me. I suppose some of the previous tissue was sent away – what did the histology report say?
I think getting a second opinion is a good idea and it can’t do any harm. Just get copies of all your results otherwise it will cost you a fortune again. Good luck.
PS. It would be interesting to know what it all ends up as, so if you have the time, drop me a line at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za.