Question
Posted by: BMM | 2004/12/11

Cystic Fibrosis- is my child a carrier?

My husband has had a child with Cystic Fibrosis who died. My child has not been checked to see if he is a carrier. He is now in junior shcool and I was wondering if there is any other way of checking to see if he is a carrier than by taking blood.
Is there anyone doing research and has money availble for lab fees as I cannot afford to pay for the assessment to be done?

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear BMM

The genetic test to determine if your child is a CF carrier can also be done using a cheek scrape sample (or blood). Unfortunately I do not know of anyone that do research on CF in South Africa.

Regards, Maritha

1
Posted by: Concerned Genetic Counsellor | 2005/01/12

Dear BMM

I happened to see your email query on this site and would like to make you aware that there is testing for CF done in our laboratory in Johannesburg.

It seems that you may benefit from genetic counselling so that the risks to your child can be explained to you. It is also important for you to be aware that unless a child shows symptoms of CF we would not test them for carrier status. This is because we believe that ethically, the child should decide whether they want to be tested at 18 years of age.

We offer both a private and government-funded service so would be able to provide you with counselling and testing at state hospital rates. We are based at the National Health Laboratory Service and our contact telephone number is 011-489 9224.

Please contact me if you have further queries.

Kind Regards,
Tabitha Haw

Reply to Concerned Genetic Counsellor