Question
Posted by: Jeanie | 2004/01/11

Cystic Fibrosis

My husband and I would like to try to have a baby, but we both have cystic fibrosis on our sides of the family -- my mom's cousin's child has cysstic fibrosis, but the second child is perfectly healthy and my husband's gran's sisters child has cystic fibrosis.

What tests do we have to have done and can we still try to have a baby?

Your first step would be to have the sweat test as Kate has mentioned. If it is positive in either of you, a geneticist would be able to give you figures regarding the chances of a baby having it.

1
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/12

You both have the cystic fibrosis gene in your family but the 'sufferers' are not in your immediate family. If they were, the doctors should show concern. I have a second cousin who has CF and when I mentioned this to my doctor she felt that it was too distant to cause concern. However, there is a Sweat test you can do that will determine if you are a carrier.

Your husband can also do the test as CF is only a risk if both parents carry the 'f' gene. And then only is there a 25% chance that your baby will have CF. That is why some parents may have 1,2 or 3 CF children and some may only have 1 out of 4 children suffering from CF.

But if you are very concerned, and from my research regarding CF, you need not be as you are not high risk. You can have the Sweat test done where the doctors will simply take a sample of your sweat and test it.

Best of luck!

Reply to Kate