Question
Posted by: Charmain | 2007/08/25

cyst, early delivery?

Hi Doc,
Spoke to you a few weeks ago. I am now 33 weeks pregnant and our daughter has an ovarian cyst. I am seeing my gynae weekly. Last week the cyst stayed the same size at 5cmx5cm. This week, it is 6cmx6cm. He said that he is going to contact a Fetal Medicine Specialist. He spoke to her before when the cyst was 3cm, and they said that they weren't concerned. Yesterday, he spoke briefly about doing a ceazer earlier. I will probably only hear on Monday what the outcome of their conversation is, and would like to know if you think that delivering her earlier could be a possibility. She is a very good size baby. I am also concerned about a twist developing due to the size of the cyst,.
Any advice / opinion would be much appreciated.

Thank-you

I don't think that delivering her earlier is helpful. It may be necessary to aspirate the cyst in utero. This would decrease the complications you are concerned about.