Question
Posted by: Haj | 2004/02/05

CYST

Dear Doc,

I am 25yrs old and recently got married. About a month before my wedding consulted with my GP about a suitable contraceptive and he prescribed Diane35 for me. Due to personal reasons i stopped taking the pills a few days after i started the 2nd course. I experienced a bit of spotting about 2/3 days after i stopped the pill. I then missed my regular period and became worried that i was pregnant. It was after about 6 weeks that i consulted with a Gynae who diagnosed me as having a cyst on my left ovary. According to my doc (whom i consulted with about 3 weeks ago) the cyst is 2,4 x 3cm and is asymptomatic. My doc advised me not to worry about it as it could disappear on its own but that i should check on it after 2 months. She mentioned that i may gain weight and may experience pain on my left side, both of which i AM experiencing but, i am concerned because i have recently been experiencing pain on my right side as well. I am also concerned because i have heard of several cases where women can't fall pregnant because of cysts. Please advise me as i really want to have a baby.

Best Regards,

Haj

P.S. I had recently missed my second menstruation but i experienced some spotting about 5/6 days after my normal period was due. In the past i used to bleed quite heavily for 7- 10 days at a time.

It is not uncommon to have irregular periods for a few months after stopping the Pill. The cyst is quite small and I would agree with your doctor that nothing needs to be done at this stage. You may be confusing a single cyst with PCOS. It is the latter which can cause problems with falling pregnant.