Question
Posted by: Kimmi | 2007/04/17

Cylcing = Bigger bum?

I read somewhere that certain cardio exercise (like cycling) can actually make your bum look bigger because the muscles grow.
Is this true? and if so, what other exercise should i stay away from and which is best to tone and slim down a bum?

Hi Kimmi

This is a rumour that seems to have done the rounds, because many people feel it to be true. And maybe it is, I don't think it is and from experience, it's not the case, but maybe some people respond differently to training. All I can say is that if you look at an elite cyclist, provided they are doing substantial riding, they carry basically no excess weight, anywhere. And so if the argument was true that cycling increased the size of thighs or butt, then the elite guys would have the largest thighs in the world. And this is not the case! That of course doesn't explain it fully, because some people do become quite muscular and not everyone is going to be cycling 3 hours a day. But I think that what often happens is that people respond to even the tiniest muscle development with alarm and react too quickly, because yes, cycling will develop muscles that were not developed before, but that does not mean its bad and it does not mean the but will become larger. On the contrary, it will become more toned and that's a good thing - same goes for the thighs. You don't get bulky if you do regular cardio, no matter what it is. Only when doing quite high resistance training and weights does that happen. So my advice is to try it out, but don't react too quickly, rather give it a while and it will work out.