Question
Posted by: JPop | 2008/06/24

Cyclosporin vs Interal Cortisone

Hi there,

In terms of treating stubborn eczema that has failed all convention forms of treatment, I would like your opinion on whether cyclosporin is a safer, more longer term solution than taking oral cortisone tablets so supress the inflammation and itchyness.

i do understand that both drugs have their associated risks, but would like to know which is the better of the two 'evils'

Thanks,
J

Dear J
Cyclosporin is a type of chemotherapy and suppresses your immunity, thus the improvement of eczema. But before using such drastic treatment, have you tried the newer drugs like Tacrolimus? Anyway, I would think the cortisone is still the better evil of the two!
Are you seeing a dermatologist?

1
Posted by: JPop | 2008/06/27

Thanks Cyberdoc for your reply.

yes I am currently seeing a dermatologist, but I think she has exhausted her thinking process in terms of what else there is for me to try.

I assume that when you mention Tacrolimus, you are referring to the topical ointment. Reading further, it is pretty much similar to Elidel but is for more severe cases of eczema wheras Elidel (Pimecrolimus) is for mild eczema.

Elidel didn't seem to improve my condition.

I cant seem to find this ointment anywhere which leads me to think that this ointment is not yet in the country.

if this is the case, what are my options of trying it out as this is a prescription medicine.

Thanks once again,
Jpop

Reply to JPop