Question
Posted by: Chris | 2004/01/15

Cycling, killing me

l started cycling resently, 2hour a day.
l don't want to quit, but my seat is killing me,
though it's not a cheap seat.
lt's the area that maters most,
and the pain stays there,
sometimes even hours after exercise.
ls there anything i can use to sooth it?
ls there any long term efects,
like erectile problems?

l'd apreciate it
thanx

Hi Chris

First, to have started off with a 2 hour session from nothing (apparently) is really tough going, and I'm not sure it's a great idea for the long term - perhaps just building up would help your situation as well, because you can at least adapt a bit better this way.

Now, I would suggest that you that cycle with a really well padded pair of shorts as well if you are not doing this already. Other than this, there are some fancy saddles that are designed specifically to minimise this type of pain, and so you might look into those. They are often really impractical but some are pretty good and look good too - any bike shop would be able to assist you with that. Finally, the question of erectile problems has been around for ages - I won't lie to you and say that there are none, because many cyclists do suffer from some problems - not always caused by cycling, but it sure doesn't help. One thing I can assure you is that if you stay at 2 hours a day, you're pretty safe for the major problems - it's only really thought to be in the super elite guys (4 plus hours a day) that it becomes a problem because of the prolonged pressure.

I hope that you can either push through this, or find a practical way to solve it.

3
Posted by: Cid | 2004/01/26

Enjoy the Argus...

Reply to Cid
Posted by: Chris | 2004/01/17

Thank you for your information.
Kind regards.
Chris.

Reply to Chris
Posted by: Glen | 2004/01/16

Make sure your saddle is level and not sloping up.
Put some aqueous cream on the chamois of your
cycling shorts before you cycle.
You will get used to the saddle in time.

Cheers.

Reply to Glen