Question
Posted by: tarryn | 2007/02/13

cycling - first race coming up

Hi Ross,

thank you again for your reply to my previous questions.
I would like to know, i'm riding my first 20km race on the 25thFeb but in the competition rules it says: Only SACF registered riders may enter.
What does this mean? i am not registered, so must i? and how would i do that?
i've already entered and they didn't once ask me if i was a registered rider.
Does this make a difference?
Anther thing - do i need to belong to a team / club in order to race ? Or can i just go out there and cycle.
another Q: Will this race be seeding for the 94.7 that i am aiming to
do ?

I have been riding my bike - as you suggested - get used to it and feeling much more confident now that i know how it works..
Thank you for your time!
Tarryn

Hello Tarryn

Fantastic, well done! I'm so pleased that you are getting into it, it's great.

To answer your questions, SACF means South African Cycling Federation - it sounds as though you have to be a registered rider with the SACF. That's not a bad thing, because anyone can register. SACF is the old name, as far as I can gather from the internet, and the new name is Cycling South Africa. Their email address is info@cyclingsa.com, and I would suggest that you contact them to find out exactly how to go about joining and what it involves.

My advice is that you should consider joining, particularly if you are planning to ride quite a few races. Membership with a federation usually puts you on an email or postal list and you get all kinds of useful info about races and events this way. But I think that you need to check this out with the cycling SA guys.

It's strange that you could enter the race without having joined, but perhaps they can clear this up. I have a feeling that the entry forms are quite out of date (because the name SACF is old and been replaced), but again, I can't clear that up, unfortunately, only they will be able to.

As for whether you have to belong to a club or team, the answer is no you don't, you can race as an individual, but you may need to be a registered cyclist with the federation.

And finally, I suspect that the 20 km distance will be too short to be a seeding race. Usually, a race will offer a few distances, and I'm not sure what race this is, but they probably offer a 20 km, a 40 km and maybe a 70 to 90 km race. I would think that the long race is a seeding event, but not the shorter ones. Don't panic though, there are many months left and this is big step in the right direction, so get this race under your belt and then look to the next, possibly longer walk!

Keep it up and goodluck

Ross