Question
Posted by: Adele | 2008/01/31

cycling and legs

I run on the treadmill for 20 minutes/cycle for another 20 minutes 3 x week. I then do the circuit for 40 minutes. (no leg exerices at all). What worries me is that I don't want the top part of my leg (I dont know what you call it in your terms) to get too big or have too much definition. I tend to show definition on my legs very quickly. Will the cycling do that if I keep the intensity low.

Hi Adele

I don't think it will, provided you keep the resistance low. Note that "resistance" and "intensity" are not necessarily the same thing - you can still go at a high intensity by pedalling really fast, but the resistance on EACH pedal stroke is not that high. So my advice is to to do these 20 minutes at a moderate intensity - you don't want to feel like you're just pedalling against thin air, but try to keep the cadence (pedal revolutions per minute) quite high - 90 rpm if you can. Then it will be fine, I'm sure!