Question
Posted by: Honey | 2008/01/29

CYCLING

Due to complications during pregnancy I could not go to gym. I am considering to invest in a stationary bike. Could you give me some advice regarding purchasing a good one. I won't be able to attend gym again - too far to travel but I will have the bike , Tae bo videos and will be able to walk twice a week. Is cycling a good form of cardio for losing weight and how often should I do it. Thanks

hi Honey

The most important thing you can look at is the after-sales service. The last thing you need once you've bought the bike is for it to break (because eventually it will - it's got all those moving parts) and for there to be no way to fix it up. So it's important that the factory/company making the bike has a facility nearby where they can take it and fix it. preferably, under guarantee!

Other than this, they are all pretty much the same and have similar functions. Again, for quality's sake, don't go in at the very bottom of the market and buy solely on price, because you'll spend more money on repairs and services.

But also, don't buy just because it has all the fancy bells and whistles - go with middle of the range, with good support after the sale.

As for the training, I think what you're planning is fine - 2 walks a week, 2 cycles and a week and a taebo session or two is really good. The walking can develop into jogging if you're so inclined, and so I think it's fine. Just be patient and give this a long time to work.

Good luck!
Ross