Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2007/03/29

Cycling

I have a stationary bike I ride almost everyday, but I am not sure if it is giving me accurate calories burned. It may say I ride for 30 minutes at 33mph and burn 703 calories. Is that correct? If not, how can I figure it out? That seems like an awful lot of calories to burn in 30 minutes. Thanks

HI Cindy

It certainly is a very large amount, I would also be sceptical. My guess would be that you would burn anything between 12 and 16 Calories per minute. It's difficult to guess at the exact amount because it depends on the speed or power output (and I'm not convinced of the speed calibration of your bike either) you ride at and also on how efficient you are as a cyclist. But that's about the right range, which means you are looking at around 400 Cal in 30 minutes, as an average.

Hope this helps.
Ross