Question
Posted by: jack | 2004/12/08

cycling

i cycle to get fit and lose weight i do about 18-23kmh for about 6km in about 25-30 min. my q -- what can i do to improve my routine. increase speed and or distance

HI Jack

The best way to get fitter, at anything, is to gradually increase the distance, the intensity or the frequency of training. My advice is that you increase one at a time. So, for example, if you are doing 6 km now, then perhaps next week, take two days and cycle 8 km. The following week, you increase the speed so that you ride your normal 6 km at about 24 - 25 km/h. This way, you only ever increase one of them at a time, but overall, you must increase both. Obviously, there will come a time where you run out of space to increase - let's say that your time constraints prevent you from doing more than 45 minutes. If this is the case, then you focus on increasing the speed. However, the most important thing is that you build up gradually. If for example you are doing 4 days a week, 6 km a day, then you can't just suddenly jump up to 8 km a day every single day. You have to increase only one or two days. This way, you give the body a chance to adapt and recover between training. I hope this clears it up.