Question
Posted by: SPIN | 2004/11/02

CYCLE INDUCED INSOMNIA?

I HAVE STARTED SPINNINING AND ROAD CYCLING SIX WEEKS AGO, ABOUT FIVE TIMES A WEEK. PROBLEM IS THAT I STRUGGLE TO SLEEP! I SLEEP ABOUT THREE HOURS AT NIGHT, THE REST I AM WIDE AWAKE. THIS WAS NEVER A PROBLEM BEFORE. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Hi Spin

There are a few things to consider - the first is when you cycle. If you cycle in the late afternoon, it may just be that the increased arousal levels from the exercise keep you awake. Remember that if you exercise, metabolic rate, body temperature, hormone levels, everything rises, and so if you try to sleep soon after it is sometimes hard.

Perhaps the more important thing is how hard you are training. One of the first signs of overtraining is lack of sleep, and so it's not impossible that you are training a little too hard for what you are accustomed to. I would be interested to see what would happen if you 1) back off the training frequency and spend a week or two doing just 3 or 4 rides a week, and 2) train less hard. I'm not sure how hard you train but backing off might do the trick right away.

Finally remember that insomnia might also be the result of any number of factors and so you must do a little personal 'detective' work to see what you can find in your routine that may account for this lack of sleep.