Question
Posted by: mb | 2007/05/17

cycle &cysts

hi
i recently had a check up cos i had pcos-and my doc sed that there are only abt 3cysts left-the glucophage shrank them and im no longer considered polycystic-however my cycle during this check up was 38 days-i was told this isnt normal-if the cysts are almost gone y is my cycle not regulating to btwn 28-35 as it should?do i stil need clomid?thnx

Dear mb

The presence or absence of cysts on ultrasound scanning is just one factor in the diagnosis of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Even though the cysts may have so-called disappeared or have diminished it is very likely that the other metabolic factors remain and hence ovulatory dysfunction may not have been completely resolved. Hence the use of clomid may still be necessary to induce ovulation and achieve conception.