Question
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/22

CyberVet: Melamine

I've been reading into the whole melamine thing and apparently the Chinese use it in their products to boost the protein rating of their products. It is very toxic to humans and animals, although it is often used in Asia as a fertilizer.

Is there anyway that as concerned Vets and Pet Owners, we could lobby or petition for the removal of their raw materials from our products until such time as their practices are regulated?

The US FDA has issued an import alert for foodstuffs from China, is their anyway we can request our government to do the same?

Many thanks
Joni

Yes there probably is. The South African Veterinary Association is in consultation with concerned parties and hopefully a decision will be made soon.

The premium pet food manufacturers are testing ingredients for melamine and I am sure they will change their sources.

Thanks for oyur input as it helps us all to understand the complexity of the situation.

3
Posted by: Carol | 2007/04/23

Joni my daughter is a journo in jhb ill ask her and see what she say's she has "connections" :)

Ill help anyhow k

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/23

Hi Dawie

I was thinking that if we could get concerned vets involved, who could then get the SAVA involved as well as the Pet Food Industry Watch Dog, we would have more of a chance having these shipments banned, as the South African Government has trade agreements with China!

Umm, I'm not sure who my MP is, or if they'd even care. I asked my party representative if she'd be interested in helping and she says its not a political issue, guess I won't be voting for them again!!!

Reply to Joni
Posted by: Dawie | 2007/04/22

This is something you need to ask your MP not your vet.

Reply to Dawie