Posted by: Kate | 2008/09/02

Cybervet - Dog Bite

I have only asked who do you report a dog bite too!!
I have not and will not claim any medical expenses to be paid.
My concern is that two 70 year old people are not going to be able to control a dog like this, and should I have reported this incident and if so to whom.

Please remember that this dog bit his owner on the leg a few days before biting me.

Cybevet your sarcasm was really unwarranted.

Dear Kate

My response did not suggest that you are going to claim medical expenses but just show you how bizzare certain issues can get and I think this one's got potential.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/02

Kate: there is no Ministry of Dog Bites. The cops do not have a Dog Bite Unit. There is no Society for the Prevention of Dog Bites.

If you feel that you are under threat, then by all means contact the police - but be warned, unless the dogs pose a threat to the public, there is nothing they can do.

If you want to obtain legal satisfaction - go to your lawyer, and institute a civil case. It' ll ge thrown out, because you really have no grounds - but at least you' ll know.

You have spoken to the ' new'  owners - that is the end of your responsibility - you cannot assume control of their lives, or their dogs, or the risks, real or otherwise, that they may choose to live with. About your only recourse is to wait for disaster to strike, and then say ' I told you so.' 

Also be warned: if you do go to your local press, you' re going to cause a lot of misery for these people. You' ve done your bit - just butt out now, and don' t pat that dog again.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Anon#2 | 2008/09/02

Cybervet answered you the first time, then Chill answered you. Nothing stops you from calling the SPCA and asking advice without reporting where the dog is - nothing stops you from going to ask your local vet, or policeman or writing in to the local paper. This is a free health site and experts volunteer their free time - I' m surprised at their patience most of the time.

Reply to Anon#2