Question
Posted by: Mary-Ann | 2004/11/22

Cybershrink - How do we know

Hi Cybershrink. I was wondering. You help us on this site but how do we know if you are normal. You must also feel miserable or depressed sometimes. I've read of a shrink who murdered his wife. I mean, that shrink studied human behaviour and he still killed her. Good heavens. I hope you are sane. One never knows with people anymore. Cheers.

Morning, Mary-Ann,
Psheww ! Reminds me of the old story of the two shrinks who meet, and say "GOod Morning ! How am I ? "
Shrinks are surely as normal as the guy next door ( mind you, considering the guy next door to me, maybe we're a bit more normal than that !~ )
To get miserable or depressed, or anxious, or angry, at times IS NORMAL. NOT to do so, is abnormal. The issue is whether we are able to function well or not. How you define Normal is open to debate. I like the definition that if you can entertain yourself, someone else, and entertain new ideas, you're OK. If you can function at work, and in your personal relationships, well enough ( not perfectly ) then you're OK. And of course mere knowledge or studying of human behaviour doesn't protect one. There's also the matter of personality --- I've know a few truly dreadful people who became shrinks, and who even succeeded in the professional politics, though I wouldn't have sent a sick dog to see them for care.
Many of our friends on this site are excellent at giving very good advice to others, and not necessarily as good at taking their own advice. That's normal, too.
Generally, we can handle our own ordinary ups and downs reasonably well, and if we became Depressed ( or whatever ) would, hopefully, go to see another shrink for advice and help, just as if I got appendicitis, I'd want to see a surgeon.
And Mary-Ann, thanks for your concern. SO far as I can see I'm sane enough, often sane to a degree that annoys some folks who'd prefer one not to be ! And I have absolutely no homicidal plans for the Holiday Season !

1
Posted by: J | 2004/11/22

I was wondering, too and btw, who do you see for counselling when you're down in the dumps?

Reply to J