Question
Posted by: Shazia | 2003/12/08

Cutting of Dog Tails

We have Boerbull pups and would like to have their tails chopped.
Please advise what age is best?
What does this kind of procudure cost?
Where to go?
They are now 7days old.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Hi Shazia
I strongly disagree with tail-docking as it is basically amputation and can affect the dogs' temperaments for ever, especially if it is done too late. It is illegal in many countries now and vets here are less and less willing to do it. The reasons for docking are no longer valid, so it is only a selfish (tails wag and get in the way) and aesthetic (dogs "look" better?) practice. I think it is already too late to dock your pups' tails as it is usually done at 2 to 3 days when they are still soft and cartilaginous. If you are determined to have it done please get a vet to do it properly or it could result in infections and horrible scars. Please re-post your query for the vet to answer the other questions.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: ... | 2003/12/08

I had my puppies tail cut at 8 weeks of age.It cost me R80.

Reply to ...
Posted by: Karen | 2003/12/08

you can have it done at the vet. the sooner the better.
it should cost below R 100,
if you wait longer (until there is bone in the tail) it could set you back a pretty penny +1 R 900 per tail. As the procedure is longer and more painful.

Reply to Karen