Question
Posted by: who cares !!! | 2006/04/03

cutting myself

I keep cutting myself whenever I have a lot of rejection - I just dont know how to stop taking a knife and cutting my arms - why do I do this ??????

WHY is less important than working with a good local shrink so as to be able to stop it. If you'll check out the archives of this Forum, you'll find we've discussed it quite often. It's far more common than people think. I think most shrinks dont recognize the extent to which people use it as a personal emergency source of relief ; and most cutters don't recognize the risks and potential long-term problems that arise, and the extent to which it is so brief in the relief sought from it, as to be undesirable where better alternatives can be available.
As BT describes, the Distraction technique is usually a handy and safe substitute. Drinking very cold water as she does, is an original and promising idea. Wearing an elastic band round the writst to SNAP for a sudden sharp shock of sensation can substitute --- a colour shock ( some people focus on the suddent appearance of the red blood ) --- is not to cut, but to slash some bright red water-soluble paint, maybe from a non-permanent magic marker, across the arm instead.
I've written text-book chapters on trying to understand the Why, but this is unimportant compared to the importance of changing the behavior to more fruitful and positive alternatives.

3
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/04/04

People who cut themselves often do it when they experience immense emotional pain, and then get some kind of release by transfering that pain to a physical one.

You really do need to get some help - there is no quick method to stop cutting. You need to get help in learning how to cope with the emotional pain you feel, in other ways.

A good psychologist will guide you, and come to understand YOU, and will be able to give you specific ways of counteracting these desires.

Cutting doesn't really solve anything, and creates more stress, and scarring - and one day you'll look back and wish you got help - so do it now.

Best wishes.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2006/04/04

I also cut, hadn't in a while and then did it again, have stopped. I do it when the emotional hurt is too much too bear, it is a release. You have to see someone and find out what it is that is hurting you so much on the inside that you need a release. As soon as you get the urge to cut, go do something else, get up and walk away from the knifes, away from anything you can possibly use to cut, believe you me, if you want to cut, the urge is strong. Go drink water and find other less harmful ways. CS once suggested I take an elastic and wear it around your wrist, flick it rather, it is a sting, it might help.
It takes a lot out of me to not cut or hurt myself but it can be done, I drink a lot of water now, ice cold water, it is a distraction.
Take Care

Reply to Beyond Tired
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/03

CS would be able to give you the correct info but it is a way of dealing with emotional pain that you are unable to express in other non harmfull ways. Please make an appointment with a Psychiatrist and learn how to deal with your rejection and to stop harming yourself.

Reply to Tango