Question
Posted by: big-sis | 2007/05/18

cutting

Hi CyberShrink

I just wanted a second opinion please... my sister who is now 15 has started cutting her self... not wanting to kill her self (well, atleast i pray not) and she is seeing a therapist now.
The therapist told her that she is suffering from OCD coz she says she cant stop doing it... i just feel that it is more an addiction than a compulsion disorder?
Am i wrong in thinking this??
And also, do you have any advice on how to handle the situation?? i do understand the reasons for doing it though ...

Thanks :)

If you'll check out the archives of this forum, you'll find that we have discussed various aspects of self-cutting very usefully many times. It is NOT, repeat NOT, OCD or any form of it, and I'm amazed that any therapist could know so little about this commopn condition as to mistake it for OCD. Maybe a different therapist, with more understanding of it, andwho has actually read some of the large literature about it, would be more effective. It is a disorder on its own, though you're right that it is more like an addiction than an OCD compulsion. Fortunately people in this situation are not generally seeking death, but cutting as an expression of psychological pain they don't know how to handle better.

1
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/18

First she needs to deal with her emotional issues and go from there. It makes her forget about the emotional pain.

Reply to Echelle