Question
Posted by: finger tendon | 2007/05/10

cut finger tendon - zone 2 - upper body

Hello.

I normally do pull ups, pushups etc for my upper body. Now that I have my hand out of action, what exersise can I do for the upper body without further damage to the hand/tendon?

Thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear finger tendon:
Unfortunately, there are not any viable home exercises that you can perform without the use of your hand. However, if you belong to a gym you can perform many upper body exercises on the resistance machines that don’t require you to use your hands. For example: Swop push ups for the Pec dec machine (where you place your elbows against a pad to push the weight), or you can swop Pull-ups for the Reverse Flye machine (This machine also requires you to push against a pad with your elbows and forearms instead of using your hands). Bear in mind though that you probably won’t have as a strong muscle stimulus or intensity from the machines as you would from the body weight exercises.

I strongly advise that you consult the help of a Physiotherapist and/or Biokineticist to assist you in the rehabilitation of your hand, so as to restore the functionality of your hand.

Go well