Question
Posted by: Curious | 2006/07/24

curious

Me and Hubby are ttc. Had gynea visit and all seems clear(ie no fibriods or scar tissue or endometriosis) however did a progesterone 21 day test and result came back at 5.2. I am a week late for my af, any chance that I could be pregnant or more likely to be a hormonal imbalance and late af??

Dear Curious

The answer entirely depends on the length of your menstrual cycle. In patients with a menstrual cycle length greater than 28 days, a day 21 progesterone may not be appropriate and testing should be timed aacording to the expected day of ovulation.
If however,you have a regular 28 day cycle, then a day 21 progesterone of 5.2 is clearly an indication that ovulation has not occured.
In this case, the delay in your menstrual period, may, on the balance of probability, be likely to indicate a hormonal imbalance.
Should you however have any other symptoms than I would suggest that you do a home pregnancy which may be positive in the event of a possible pregnancy.