Question
Posted by: JO-ANNE | 2005/07/04

Curious

Hello Doctor,

Please can you tell me how long it takes for the HIV virus in sperms to die if it is on a matress and covered with a blanket?

The reason why I ask, is that I do alot of travelling and spend alot of time at hotels and was wondering about this as i saw a stain in one of the hotels! Also, about how long does it take for sperms to dry in the above conditions?

Many thanks.

Jo-Anne, the virus will die within hours after the semen has dried. Luckily the chance of getting HIV from semen on a sheet is very difficult because there has to e a lot of it and it has to come into contact with an open wound or your eye. That said, you should insist on clean sheets or a different room when you do find stained linen in a hotel room – it is your right to have clean linen. Good luck.