Question
Posted by: Herbs | 2005/11/22

Culture, religion & others

This may be the wrong forum but it seems very active.

My husband has been retire due to health problems. He is at home and very bored. He feels useless and demotivated.

I would like him to start a Herb garden as he loves gardening. I ask if those that use herbs for cooking or because its in you religion or ethnic culture, if you could post the names of these herbs.

He is hoping to sell these and make a bit of extra money - plus it will keep him busy and give him purpose in life.

Many thanks

Funn,y CP Mom, only the cockney's would be likely to say 'erbs, and the rest of the English would include the H --- but even very upper crust Americans always talk of Erbs and Erbal bath salts, etc. Like they eat and Oar-inge, rather than an Orange.
If the project is partly seen as Occupational Therapy, your partner may also enjoy reading the Margaret Roberts books, even though many of the claims made there seem like rumour and hokum to me --- and research the different uses of different herbs. And there's a difference between those that need to be used fresh and those than can be used dried, in terms of growing, harvesting, and marketing.
But my goodness, what a wealth of info from our readers !

9
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/22

Lavender is also pretty and smell's wonderful!

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Herb lover | 2005/11/22

Herbs that prefer full sun include:
· Basil
· Chives
· Dill
· Oregano
· Rosemary
· Tarragon
· Thyme
Herbs that prefer partial shade include:
· Chervil
· Lemon balm
· Mint
Herbs for every occasion
Are you crazy about Italian food or do you prefer ze French? Here are some tried and tested herbal gardens to suit your taste:
A taste of Italy
· Thyme
· Sweet Basil
· Oregano
· Majoram
· Italian parsley
A French connection
· Sage
· Chives
· Tarragon
· Chervil
· Parsley
Going green
· Celery
· Rocket
· Salad burnet
· Garlic chives
· Parsley
Heaven scent
· Pineapple sage
· Lemon thyme
· Lemon balm
· Rose scented geranium
· Lavender

Here are some of the most common and loved herbs and how they like to be treated:
Basil
Plant type: annual
Soil: rich, moist, well-drained soil
Location: sun or partial shade; can grow indoors
Days to maturity: 85
Uses: use fresh or dried in pasta sauces, stews, soups. Use fresh basil in salads or liquidise them with pine nuts for pesto. Sprinkle fresh basil on pizzas Handy tips: pinch the centres as plants grow to encourage bushiness
Coriander
Plant type: annual
Soil: sun or partial shade
Location: tolerates poor soil
Days to maturity: 90
Uses: the seeds and leaves can be used in curries, soups and stews or as a stuffing for chicken. Also used in cakes, cookies and breads.
Handy tips: Coriander is known as dhanya in South Africa. You can pick young leaves at any time. If you want to dry them, place them on a wire rack in a warm, airy place and then store in an airtight jar
Lavender
Plant type: perennial
Soil: moist, well-drained soil
Location: Sun or partial shade
Days to maturity: 60
Uses: dried leaves and flowers can be used in potpourris, cosmetics or in netting sachets to keep your linen smelling fresh
Handy tips: before the last flowers have opened, cut stems and hang in bunches upside down in a warm airy place. Once dry, remove the leaves and flowers and store them in an airtight jar. Lavender flowers are very fragrant and the herb can be used as an attractive landscape plant as well.
Oregano
Plant type: perennial
Soil: well-drained soil
Location: sun, can grow indoors
Days to maturity: 60
Uses: can be used in any Italian dish. Fresh or dried leaves add flavour to soups, stews and pasta sauces. Sprinkle over pizzas, salads, vegetables and meat or fish dishes
Handy tips: pick fresh leaves whenever you need them or cut stems just before the plant is in full flower. Dry them on a wire rack in a airy place then pick off the leaves and keep them in an airtight container
Parsley
Plant type: biennial, although usually grown as an annual
Soil: rich, moist soil
Location: sun or partial shade, can grow indoors
Days to maturity: 75
Uses: fresh leaves can be used in soups, stews and sauces, or as garnishing on almost any dish. Parsley is also a natural breath freshner.
Handy tips: Soak seeds for 48 hours to speed up germination
Rosemary
Plant type: tender perennial
Soil: well-drained soil
Days to maturity: 85
Uses: best in meat (especially lamb) or fish dishes and sauces. Also used in cosmetics
Handy tips: don't worry if it doesn't grow straight away, germination is often erratic
Sage
Plant type: perennial
Soil: rich, well-drained soil
Location: tolerates poor, dry soil and grows well indoors
Days to maturity: 75
Uses: fresh or dried in beef and fish dishes as well as stews. Good for stuffing and is a common sausage flavouring
Handy tips: well-drained soiled is a necessity

Thyme
Plant type: perennial
Soil: tolerates poor soil
Location: sun or partial shade, grows well indoors
Days to maturity: 70
Uses: fresh or dried in omlettes, bland soups and stews. Also a great stuffing for chicken or a flavouring for salads and roast vegetables
Handy tips: pinch back new growth to encourage bushiness
Other useful herbs to grow are aloe vera, comfrey, feverfew, lemon balm, marigold and rosemary.

Reply to Herb lover

HA HA HA MICHAEL - BIETJIE ROOIBAARD, CHRONIC AND HYDROPONICS TOO?

Posted by: Herbs | 2005/11/22

He started planting those among my normal garden plant... which gave me the idea of the herbs... it will also "force" him to go to bookshop to get more info and go to nurseries, and meet people(hopefully).

Nothing like good old fashioned psychology!!

Reply to Herbs
Posted by: Dee | 2005/11/22

Sister Herb
I know lots of herbs - depends where you live though. Some grow almost anywhere but if you lived in the Cape there is a whole other category. The most common are of course - parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, dill, coriander, mint,fennel, rocket, basil - the list is actually quite long.

HOWEVER - this might really not be his passion. Gardening is just not for everybody. I would suggest he gets involved in a local sport or social club and when this feeling of being 'aimless' lifts, then he can really discover what rocks his boat and get into that. Often hobbies can become careers and what better way to make money than to do what you love.

A famous quote: It is brave to live the life you love, but even braver to love the life you live!

Reply to Dee
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/22

What REALLY grows and you CAN make money out of it and it grow's fast (comes up within a week or two) is tomato's, potato's and pumpkin!

It's very rewarding.

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Herbs | 2005/11/22

Thanks CP Mom

Its not really about the money. When your partner, that use to be active and had a good job, good income is suddenly retired due to his health its hell to watch.

Its not just the job and the money, but also the friendships that they enjoyed at work that just disappears. It is so sad to see him wondering around aimlessly. It not like normal retirement that you plan for and look forward to.

Thanks - more suggestions would be more than welcome

Reply to Herbs
Posted by: Michael | 2005/11/22

how about starting with swazi gold some skunk and Durban poison or you can even throw a few mushies in.. hee hee

Reply to Michael
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/22

Growing herbs or as the English say 'erbs sounds a lot easier than it is, especially from seeds. I've tried it and have not been easy but if you buy seedlings form the nursery it's better.

But the easiest to start with would be :

MINT (pork or potato salad)
PARSLEY
ORIGANO (lovely in pasta dishes)

I doubt though if there is much money to be made out of this.....

Reply to CP Mom