Question
Posted by: Karen | 2005/11/17

CS: TB Meningitis

Hi CS

You are probably not an expert on TB or Meningitis but I can't seem to find any info on the internet.

Can you tell me, in laymans terms what it is? My son has been diagnosed. He has to remain in hospital for another week and then be on a course of tablets for a further 6 months.

Should I have the rest of the familiy tested or am I panicking for nothing.

He is in a Govt hospital so trying to get info out of anyone there is like bashing your head again a very hard brick wall.

Hm, surprized if there isn;t material on this on the web. TB is tuberculosis, a potentially serious infection, and TB meningitis would be an infection with B affecting the meninges, the membranes lining the brain. In treating any form of Tb is it ESSENTIAL to take the right drugs and to ensure that the person takes them in the right doses for the right length of time until they are completely clear of the infection. The disease can indeed cause a person to become confusedm or go into coma for a while --- like meningitis from any other cause. You will need to ask the doctors there what the outlook seems to be, and the issue of whether anyone else in the family should be tested for possible infection. Good luck !

3
Posted by: Karen | 2005/11/18

Jade who died and made you Forum Policeman? As I thought, I got some very good feedback from a perfect stranger who actually gives a damn! For your information I have been here a lot longer than you have, you won't know me because I don't engage in the pifle posts with you!

Buzz, thanks very much. That's about all I could find too.

I saw him this morning and he is not doing well at all. He is very confused and I am not sure if it's the medication of the disease.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/17

Karen, I was interested myself, so I checked on www dot health.allrefer dot com, and this is what I found. Bear in mind, we are often warned against websites supplying incorrect information.

Tuberculous meningitis is a very rare disorder. It is caused by the spread of mycobacterium tuberculosis from somewhere else in the body, and it infects the membranes covering the brain and spinal cord. Treatment is long term, and the patient will have to be re-tested continually, to ensure there's no recurrence. If it's untreated, it could be fatal. Residual brain damage may cause motor paralysis, convulsions, mental impairment, and abnormal behavior.

Keep your son in hospital, let him finish his treatment, and all the very best to all of you.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: Jade | 2005/11/17

You should ask this question on the cyberdoc forum.
cybershrink does mental health related questions.

Reply to Jade