Question
Posted by: Jacques12 | 2007/05/03

CS - HELP PLEASE

Hi CS, I've got major depression, uses 30mg Cipralex a day, 200mg Seroquel, 1.5mg Rivotril. Want to increase my serotonin levels so I am cutting carbonated drinks, eating less processed foods, cutting caffeine,using 3000mg Vitamin C, Grapeseed extract & other antioxidants daily, 3000mg Flaxseed oil -Omega 3,6,9 daily. and Gingko Biloba and drinking Chamomile and Green Tea, instead of coffee. Starting a 3day a week exercise program. Will doing this help me lessen my depression, by increasing serotonin and decrasing toxins and free radicals in my body as well as the anxiety??????

I still don't understand why so many doctors are adding Rivotril in the treatment of Major Depression, it seems most peculiarly popular. A good diet is always a good idea, though I know no evidence that the changes you mention actually would influence your serotinin levels anywhere in the body, let alone at the specific nerve=endings where it would be relevant. There is NO good evidence whatsoever that ANY "toxins" or free radicals accumulate in the body to cause depression or anything else --- this is a myth invented by the guys who make fortunes persuading us to buy stuff they claim will detoxify us ( it's very easy to remove toxins that aren't actually there ) and who claim their products will remove free radicals that aren't really relevant.
We are fortunately growing used to being a bit suspicious of drug companies and expect them to produce real genuine research to prove their claims --- but i am alarmed at how gullibnly so many people trust compnaies which make wilder claims, with no research to back it up.