Question
Posted by: Me | 2007/08/16

CS, further to my posting 2161

Hi CS, I have seen clinical pschycologists, psychiatrists, hynoptherapists and so on over the last 10 years. I have had other issues in my life which I dealt with at those times but the main reason is my insomnia, which all the "experts" put down to depression. I can't help thinking that anyone would be quite depressed if they get 1 1/2 to 3 hours sleep a night! I am taking a host of anti depressants and the only one that has worked from a sleep aspect was Serequel but the weight gain was instantaneous and drastic and apparently there is a danger of adult onset diabetes when that happens.
I have been for sleep therapy as well, which was a waste of time, because all they could tell from their monitors is exactly what I had told them was happening.
Me

Gosh, Homeopsych will be so upset to hear that the hypnotherapists idn't fix everything. Certainly major insomnia can be due to depression, but is rarely the only symptom, so one would expect that other symptoms of depression would be present. Sleep therapy is absolutely always, without any exceptions, dangerous quackery, which not one single reputable authority supports, and without one single tiny shred of evidence that it is ever effecive or helpful, and much evidence that it can be seriously dangerous. One should run from the room if any shrink every suggeests something so wildly and dangerously incompetent. But from your comment about monitors, it sounds more as though you were in a sleep lab being monitored and investigated for the nature of your sleep problems, which can be really helpful, rather than given sleep therapy, which is when quacks give you large doses of sedatives and try to force your brain to sleep for extended periods of time.
I understand hat you'd like me to think of somthing novel and effective to propose here, but only yet another re-assessment and fresh opinion from a good psychiatrist who examines you directly, can perhaps find the best approach here.

1
Posted by: joey | 2007/08/16

Hi me - I also had a big problem with insomnia (not quite as bad as you though, used to sleep for about 4 hours). I was depressed at the time and the depression brought on the insomnia. Anyway, I was prescribed with Remeron which is an antidepressant but it also helps for anxiety and insomnia. It worked fantastically except that I did gain about 5kgs over an 8 month period so it was quite slowly. I'm weaning myself off them now, but I must say that I felt fantastic while I was taking them - helped for all my problems.

Reply to joey