Question
Posted by: CA | 2007/04/02

CS - DEPRESSION & SEROTONIN

Hi CS - Can you please explain to me how we get a serotonin shortage, because I can not understand it.
Why suddenly at age of 22 did I have a serotonin shortage, why didn't I have it before if it is a chemical imbalance, where did it suddenly come from? I am now 26 and doing much better.
I am on 30mg Cipralex, 200mg Seroquel and 1.5mg Rivotril a day, is it abnormal to be on such high dosages.Please also explain to me what the Seroquel does.

Nobody can explain exactly how and why some of us develop a RELATIVE serotonin shortage in specific areas, but it appears many factors are involved, including an inherited vulnerability in this regard. Sounds like rather a lot of medication for a basic Depression, and the combination only makes sense if you have had for some time a Bipolar Disorder that had not responded to older and more basic medications