Question
Posted by: Jacques 12 | 2007/05/08

CS - Depression & anxiety

Hi CS - I have been battling with major depression for over 3years, the worst is over, but in the past few weeks I have been getting the old depression symptoms again: fatigue, lack of meaning in life, feeling down, feelings of when will it ever stop. Now yesterday I also had an incident, I was on my way to work and I have been thinking that there was something wrong with the woman who lives next to me, so I went there and knocked on her door and kept knocking, finally she opened and I asked her if she was okay, she tried the old Yes I am, but I did'nt buy it. So I talked a little bit with her and I discovered that she is going through something that she can't explain and that a GP gave her spme pills, I posed more questions and finally It all added up. Quick diagnoses : Depression & Anxiety. She made another appointment to see her doctor and I went along and thank God he referred her to a psychiatrist , because this GP flippin new nothing about what kind of pills are good and what are not. He is uneducated in the basics of depression. Now I am glad she is going to see a specialist, but what pisses me off, is that almost every month I meet someone new with some kind of depression or anxiety and I always try to get them to go for help. But it is exhausting to talk to these people and let them get help. After such a day I am myself in a state. Why do I always get in contact with these people? or are almost all people experiencing this?

Hi Jacques 12,
The problem you describe is common, and it is fortunate that there are good people like you who are sensitive enough to notice it and good enough to try to help others. Sadly, there are indeed many GP's who received poor or little training in psychiatry despite how common and significant such problems are, and who don't really know how to deal with them and are perhaps over-influenced by which pretty drug company rep they last saw, selling 3-blindmycin or Wonderzetine. But feel good about your helpfulness ; would that there were more people around with your sensitivity and skills. And look after yourself --- maybe some CBT counselling could help you remain well and help you help others even more successfully ?