Question
Posted by: ROADPHOBIA | 2007/04/18

CS - ANXIETY ON ROAD

Hi CS, can you please give me a few tips on what I can do.
I have been living with major depression, with psychosis, anxiety and OCD for 3 years and most of the time when I am on the road I experience heavy anxiety or get into a state of fear. I am able to cope with the road a little bit better now, but it is very stressful, and I am not talking about sitting in traffic or long trips. Unfamiliar places especially makes me jitter. What can I do because I really would like to go to new places and have holiday's, but because of fear I am stuck in only familiar places and do not want to go anywhere.

That must be awfully unpleasant. What's not clear to me from your message is whether you have had any proper reatment for thee overlapping and inconvenient conditions, the Depression, Anxity /OCD ? Proper CBTcounselling plus carefully chosen medication should be able to help considerably. CBT is especially suitable for focussed fears ( like phobias ) including your discomfort in relation to travel / roads --- and can help you to fairly quickly regain control of such situations and your responses to them.