Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/21

CS

Hi CS, interesting article on Health24 about Depression and Heartbreak. I have always thought that there is a connection with heart and head, but how does the soul connect. I have often wanted to find what others think about this but am afraid to ask because I can just see eyes being rolled towards the heavens with the people I know. The Afrikaans word SIELKUNDIGE, SIEL is soul and KUNDIG is expertise, as far as I know. So really what they are calling a psychologist a SOUL EXPERT? When one is mentally ill is their soul ill? Or when the Soul departs a tired and ailing body, perhaps a person suffering from Alzheimer's, I assume that soul moves on to the next destination a "whole soul". What about a murderer, whats making him a murderer, is it his brain, his heart or his soul? When his soul departs our world, is it still a murderous soul, perhaps leaving his brain behind will also be leaving his murderous tendencies behind. I probably sound like a total lunatic today, but I have yet to find some connection. Something I only understood very well until recently is when a person says "I have lost myself" I know what that means, the task at hand is to find oneself again. Do we look for ourselves in our hearts, minds and souls, the answer would probably be all three, but how do we determine the one that is ill?
Thank goodness this is a psych forum!!

I always wondered about "Sielkundige", especially as so many seemed so very unaquainted with Souls. But some of the greatest seemed very conversant with soul matters --- like my friends Viktor Frankl and Carl Rogers.
And one of the legendary American shrinks I once met, Karl Menninger, wrote a book called something like "Whatever Happened to Evil ?" because he was bothered about how someone tried to explain away all acts of wickedness, as though there was no independent entity such as Evil.
I don't have a problem about the task of "finding oneself" --- the real difficulty is when the illness lies in specifically that which you would use to do the seeking.

5
Posted by: anon | 2007/12/21

Cortisol plays havoc with the body, so extreme shock, trauma, anger, stress, etc. the emotions are part of the body, so the way we feel, conciously or unconciously does affect the body. The physical, emotional, mental, spiritual all connected! Every thought we think creates a chemical reaction, they have proved that if we laugh for 20 minutes a day, improves our wellbeing, lowers blood pressure and releases endorphins, similar to exercise. So we can "kid" ourselves we are happy, even if we are not feeling so by conciously doing a "laughing" meditation.

Carolyn Myss's books, also refer to various physical diseases/ailments related to disturbances in our chakra (energy) of the body, ie heart chakra related to sadness, broken heart, depression, anger, hurt, etc.

There is definitely a connection, and there has been much written about it, you can google and find many references to various different scientific research findings.

Any part of us that is not in balance, or out of balance affects us in different ways. So to be conciously aware of who we are, what we want, express ourselves and deal with our emotions can only be healthy, just as eating and exercising is healthy. Different diamension to be a human being.

Fascinating!!! More and more western doctors now know the importance of energy healing. The Dr Mehmet Oz who appears with Oprah, says the same thing. Thats so good to hear, because years ago they would say it wasn't scientifically proven and discard it all as hogwash.

Reply to anon
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/21

Hi Maria, no not too bored, running around a bit. Dont worry, its almost time to go home!

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/21

Hope*, I get what you're saying. I think it's important to look at things holistically (which is such a horrible trendy word.) Soul, mind and body, however you want to split them up, co-exist in one human and influence each other. I've read a book that hypothesised that the digestive track is able to "think", almost as if it's an extension of the brain. Hence you have "gut feelings" about things which often prove to be right. Stress often has an influence on the digestive system, even though it is more of a mental problem. I feel that Western medicine practitioners became too specialised, to the point where they sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees.

Ah, these philosophical ramblings is a clear indication that I'm bored out of my mind at work. And you?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Hope* | 2007/12/21

Hi Maria, but as human beings, I feel that we should have a "sense" about these things. I mention the "sielkundige" because I really think that it is a brialliant word. My psychologist, for me, is rather a "sielkundige", he has a sort of spiritual something? Don't know if I'm expressing myself well enough.

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/21

Hi Hope*,

Interesting questions, which I have often thought about. Certainly the differences in words between English and Afrikaans makes it difficult to even translate the questions one comes up with! E.g. "siel", "gees" vs "spirit", "mind", "soul". Of course the mind-body connection have been pondered and debated by philosophers for many centuries. Perhaps all the elements that make up a human being are too complex to be understood by that human being?

Reply to Maria