Question
Posted by: Twig | 2007/07/18

CS

I find it impossible to wean myself off my medication. I’ve tried tapering off the meds very slowly, but I just couldn’t stand the withdrawal effects. I find the idea scary that I’m not able to stop the medication, and that I might be stuck taking the heavy mix (Epitec, Wellbutrin and Risperdal) for the rest of my life. I really don’t need it. Two pharmacists told me that my shrink tends to overmedicate his patients, when I queried the amount of prescribed meds. Other shrinks I’ve seen seem to be in awe of my shrink and didn’t refute his diagnosis. The last one I’ve seen vaguely suggested that the dosages might be high, but said I should discuss it with my shrink. I think I’m caught in a web, which I might never be able to escape from. Taking meds I don’t need could surely only harm me. How can I get out of this?

Sounds like a peculiar combination of medications, especially if they are in high doses. I don't know of ANY shrink in South Africa that any other shrink should be "in awe" of, myself included. Maybe you should see a different shrink, and not reveal WHO you have been seeing previously, but ask first for a full and objective assessment of your condition and advice on its treatment, then reveal the previous diagnosis and treatment, while saying that you wish not to reveal the identity of your previous shrink at this stage.