Posted by: Twig | 2007/05/14


Dear CS
I have to apologise. I’m extremely unfair to you. I keep on and on about my meds. What I really want to hear from you, and I know I’m not going to get, is approval to stop all the meds. without going for an assessment. Two shrinks told me I need to take meds – something like Epitec, Wellbutrin and Risperdal. My shrink said I will have a relapse if I stop, and the shrink I’ve seen for a second opinion told me I will “loose it” if I stop taking meds. I’ve already reduced the Risperdal from 1,5 mg per day to 0,5 mg and the Wellbutrin from 300 mg per day to 150 mg per day. I’ve decided to reduce the Epitec from 300 mg to 200 mg. I think the shrinks’ diagnosis of Bipolar II is nonsense. My brother is Bipolar and I’m nothing like him. He has just been committed to the local psych. hospital. He tried to commit suicide. My only problem is anxiety and if I can get rid of that I’m going to be perfectly fine.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hi Twig ! Right ! And I care FAR too much about you to deliberately give you bad advice ! Now, Bipolar is a wide church, and though there are obviously some similarities in specific aspects of the disorder, people with Bipolar Disorder are in other ways very different from each other --- just like people who all have ingrown toenails, or measles. Now, your brother sounds as though he has had a much more serious and difficult form of Bipolar Disorder. It would be very understandable if you wanted to convince yourself that you are NOt "like him" or likely to go the way he has gone. You're not like him, nor likely to go the same way, even if you also have bipolar disorder ( it does tend to run in families ). But stopping your meds against medical advice would INCREASE the risk no merely of a relapse but of a bad outcome, more like him ; rather than improving your chances of managing far better than he.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.