Question
Posted by: barney | 2004/01/02

crystalls in bladder

Dear cybervet,
we have just paid out over R1000 for our cat barney, he had crystals in his bladder and couldnt urinate properly and he also had blood in his urine, this has happened once before and our vet has recommended putting him on the special renal food , he has also given us powder to sprinkle over his food.
My question is will he have to stay on this food forever? is it ok for our other female cat to eat the same food and powder stuff? will we be able to give him normal food again and just use the sprinkle stuff or would that be risky? Thank you

Cats that are prone to crystals in the bladder, are likely to develop crystals again if the correct diet and preventive measures are not followed. There are different types of crystals though, needing different types of treatment approaches. Generally, diet changes are permanent, but added powders not necessarily. Your vet should know which type of crystal he is treating, and therefore whether the treatment will be long-term or permanent. As I say, it depends on the type of crystal and whether complicating or causative factors like infection was present or not.

Since I do not know which type of food was prescribed neither what type of crystal is involved, I cannot tell you wheteher the other cat is allowed to eat this food. Once again, your vet should be able to provide the answers. Give him a call.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: another cat lover | 2004/01/06

My cat had this about 5 years ago, he has been on the special food ever since, although my new vet recommended alternating every so often with regular food. I have two other cats as well, all eating the same food. It is a very rich food, and they do tend to get a bit chubby on it though. But the crystals never returned.

Reply to another cat lover